Friday, March 5, 2010

Limits of Salvation

In my Christology class yesterday we discussed the how Jesus is perceived in a world that is saturated by a variety of cultures and religious beliefs. The question that really got me thinking was a simple one that does not have a simple answer. How do you achieve salvation and who is it for?

The problem is that salvation is a purely Christian concept. Because it doesn't translate easily to other paradigms and worldviews trying to force it onto people outside of Christianity creates a round hole, square peg reality. It is like ordering a cheese burger and getting a burrito. It is like trying to say the word go, but hearing your voice say stop. Its like all the non-ironic things in Alanis Morissette's song "Isn't it Ironic". I don't mind that salvation is uniquely Christian, but I do mind if outsiders inability to grasp it means they get damnation. Thus begins a very sticky situation....

To read the rest of this post go to www.barlowthompson.net

1 comment:

  1. St Paul thought that Creation should signal to folks that God exists. From that, I think of the gospel of John and his clarity regarding light and dark/ life and death.
    I think of salvation mostly in the moment, does this next step lead to abundant life or a deseptive temptations that will lead to distruction.

    In that context, all people have the same moment of chose. As for my salvation after my death, that is in God's hands as I believe all God's children are in his hands and the future is a very dark glass to look through.

    ReplyDelete