Thursday, April 9, 2009

Greetings From A Yellow Sanctuary--Meg Mojica

Nestled deep in the loving community of Winfield,KS sits a perfect, little yellow sanctuary. An ideal place for a recovering workaholic and future seminary student to find rest and renewal. With a daily schedule of staff meetings,volunteer recruitment, inventory, lesson planning, and discovering multi-sensory ways to explain the eucharist to seven-year-olds, an Assistant Minister and Children's' Director's job is never done. With this said, my house has become my safe haven....my sanctuary.
Every morning my kitchen morphs into a stage for holy jam sessions on my guitar, my argyle chair by the lamp is perfect for the works of Bonhoeffer, Jones, and Green, and the coffee table often holds card games or the tea cups of friends who fill this sanctuary with laughter. My name is Meg Mojica, a 2008 graduate of SC who happened to land her dream job in her college town. A Texan, I thought my time in Kansas would end at graduation, and I would be summoned to move on to my next life chapter. Little did I know, God would write the next chapter in Kansas as well.
The staff at First United Methodist Church of Winfield is exactly what a church staff should be. They are humble, equipped, constantly working towards Christian perfection, and above all, open to the Spirit's lead. We are a team. Though I have been involved in church leadership since 2003, this is the first time that Sunday morning worship is not our top priority, outreach is. Yes, Kimball would be proud. Very few local churches reach this point, and it as an honor to wake up every morning and head to Millington street.
Though I live in a yellow sanctuary, I am currently in the "wilderness". I have been offered a full-ride scholarship to an extremely elite seminary in the south. Though many would take this as a sign of God's call, my excitement is, well, nonexistent, (don't tell my grandmother), and for some reason...I do not feel called to journey there in the fall. As mentioned earlier, the happenings of Winfield First are rare, what if God still has plans for me in Kansas?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I know God is and will be using you anywhere and everywhere. I am glad you are here with us. Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimball would be proud of what you are doing in that church! You always work so hard to glorify God in great ways where you are at and I have faith that great blessings are coming out of what you have committed to do with this community.
    Miss you! May God continue to grant you great peace in this place!

    ReplyDelete